Real Estate Flipping Tips: Kitchens 101
Rehabbing properties can be an excellent way to garner a large profit. If you’re going to start rehabbing properties, it’s important to know which changes will make the biggest impact. Kitchens can often make or break a buyer’s decision to purchase a house. Make sure you’re doing it right when you’re rehabbing properties for profit. Following just a few real estate flipping tips can ensure that you sell the house quickly. Try these real estate flipping tips to make the kitchen look modern and beautiful:
• Kitchen cabinets. Installing new cabinets can be expensive and time-consuming. Save money by refinishing the existing cabinets. If the cabinets are wood (as opposed to laminate), you can freshen up the color with a new stain. Some cabinets may just need an oil treatment to be brought up to date.
• Upgrade the lighting. Adding a simple pendant light over an island or kitchen table area can make the entire kitchen look more cozy and modern.
• Hardware matters. Outdated cabinet and drawer handles can make an entire kitchen look old. Replace the old hardware with new knobs and drawer pulls from a hardware store to make the entire kitchen seem newer.
• Maximize counter space. You can free up counter space by installing a microwave over the stove or adding an island. If you have the room, a bar can be a nice touch for a kitchen as well.
• Think about the room. If you do decide to install new cabinetry, stick as close to the original layout of the room as possible, especially the sink, stove and refrigerator. Moving these key staples of the kitchen will require changes to the plumbing or electricity, which is costly.
• Change up the floors. Keep the kitchen looking bright and modern with new flooring. Try to stay away from busy patterns or bright colors – you don’t want to turn a potential buyer off by instilling too much of your own taste. Neutral is always better.
• Counters. Disgusting, dingy counters will send potential buyers packing. Update the whole kitchen by installing new counters. If you don’t want to shell out for granite, laminate counters are an excellent option.
Buyers often feel strongly about the kitchen when they’re looking at homes, so keep that in mind when rehabbing properties. Following a few of these real estate flipping tips can give you a kitchen that sparkles – and will help you close the sale.