Real Estate Flipping Tips: Flooring 101
From tiles to carpet to hardwood floors, flooring can be a huge expense when you’re flipping real estate. Reading up on real estate flipping tips for floors can save you money and time in the long run. Next time you’re doing a flip, why not try one of these real estate flipping tips for floors:
• Check for hardwood. Many older homes that are carpeted have decent hardwood floors underneath the carpet pads. Before you make plans for a new floor, check to see if there might be hardwood floors lurking below that ugly shag carpeting.
• Decide if you actually need new floors. Many carpets can be salvaged with a decent professional cleaning. Smelly carpets can sometimes be fixed with baking soda and time. Bathroom and kitchen floors may just need to be thoroughly cleaned or grouted again for an entirely new look. When you’re flipping real estate, consider cleaning or refinishing the floors before you make the call to replace the flooring. If you’re going to be doing lots of flips, you may even consider purchasing a carpet cleaner.
• Stay simple. If you do decide to replace the floors, remember to keep them neutral. Don’t install a busy kitchen floor or bright blue carpet, no matter how much it appeals to you. Sticking with neutral tones will ensure that potential buyers won’t strongly object to a cosmetic issue.
• Do the work yourself. You can save a lot of money by doing some or all of the labor yourself. Hiring contractors will eat up your budget quickly, so try to do as much as possible with friends or family as your crew.
• Consider the neighbors. Do the neighbors all have hardwood? If so, you’ll probably want to stick with wooden floors. Make sure the new flooring is comparable with the rest of the homes in the area or you risk the home selling for less than other properties on the block.
Flooring is a large part of any flip, but by reading up on real estate flipping tips for floors, you can be sure that you’ll save time, money and frustration. If you’re flipping real estate, make sure you focus on the floors and you’ll be sure to sell quickly.